Friday, February 6, 2009

Creativity and space

This isn’t as scientific as you might think by the title. The space I am referring to here is work space, not cosmological space. What a terribly boring way to start a blog which is meant to be more philosophical and critical. Still, today I moved out of an office space that I had been renting for three years. The reasons I moved out have to do with a number of irrelevant issues, such as I no longer have the job which I was using it for, and my parents no longer want to rent it for themselves, as they had been since the business sold, so it is time to move on. The thing is that I have had certain connections to places before. I could only write poetry for a few years, while I was in Paris. I could only do research for a time, with my father in Ohio. I could only drink too much, and contemplate an existential crisis at night. Luckily for me, I can now do that at any time of the day. What is more worrisome is that there were several key life changes that took place 3 years ago when we rented the office (which is really a one bedroom apartment without a bed). I was going through cancer treatment, and unable to travel. My only daughter was only 6 months old. I was Vice President of a technology company, and a Ph.D student. Strangely though going to work, alone in a non-descript Manhattan apartment freed me in ways I had never had. I started to write, I finished my dissertation, I authored 3 patents, I composed a score, I produced a play and I even started boxing. I don’t mean to suggest that I did any of these things well, but at least I was being creative. So now that I am out, I am wondering if I can find that same energy in other places. It would be stupid to think I couldn’t, but for some reason, the unreasonableness of connecting to an environment, for the first time in my life does seem to matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. It helps me with ideas, and to start a discussion.